The ups and downs of a sensory-seeking, water-loving jumper named Bug (as recorded by his still-learning Mumma)

Thursday, May 14, 2015

1 year since diagnosis

Today marks one year since Bug was diagnosed with autism. On one hand, it seems like ages ago, and on the other, it seems like yesterday. I could say a lot about how I felt and how we've struggled and overcome challenges, but instead, I think I'll let Bug's day speak for us.

This morning, Bug had me adapt a Starfall song to use different letters "Listen to the short b sound...".
This morning, Bug went into my room, said "Feel the grass" and we ran our hands thru the wheatgrass. Then he said "Grass on head" and when I brought it closer to him, he rubbed it on his head.
This morning, while getting ready for OT, Bug put on his own shoes, did "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" touching the correct body parts.
During OT, Bug hopped along a puzzle, tried to kick a ball, followed multiple-step directions.
During OT, Bug only swung for a few minutes (requesting that I swing him, not Frances). He got out because Wiggle was pulling interesting toys out of the closet.
During OT, Bug climbed into the ballpit, where Wiggle was. Then he requested that I go in the pit too. Then he kept flopping himself down in the ballpit because it made me laugh. Then he requested Frances come in the ballpit. Bug shared a space, about 5'x6' with three other people. We engaged in parallel play.
Then Bug decided he should stand on the edge of the ballpit and jump in. It was amazing.
This afternoon, Bug and I wrote letters in chalk on the driveway. We walked on the letters. Bug traced them with his broom.
This afternoon, Bug repeatedly asked me to spray water at him with the hose, moving closer and farther away to see how far I could get him.

I cannot put into words how proud I am of this boy. He has grown so much and continues to meet our challenges. I have no idea what will happen in the next year, but I'm excited to see how we grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment